I'm sorry, but the "real world" argument is way overrated as far as I'm
concerned. I think I've made the point "ad nauseum" on this list that
schools were designed specifically to NOT be the real world.

But, okay, if you insist on "real world" education, here's a modest
proposal (speaking of nausea):

Drugs are something people are exposed to out there in the real world.
How will kids be able to make good choices if they haven't actually
experienced the drug itself, the real thing.  Why don't we bring drugs
into the schools so we can help kids make intelligent decisions about
them?  I know what you're going to say: the drugs are there already.  And
that's the point.  These kids are using drugs all the time - without the
sort of guidance committed educators can offer.

Take Adderall, for instance.  (I do.)  Kids just love it.  Studies have
shown it to be a wonderful aid for focusing the attention, which is
definitely important in education.  So why isn't Adderall in the classroom
officially so ALL the kids can benefit, not just the ones from "better
families" who have the bucks to buy it.  Let's end the "druggy divide".
Then we can help kids learn the proper use of these substances, like how
to regulate their usage throughout the day so they get the big jolt right
before the soccer game.  It's really all about appropriate use.

If we don't show these kids how to use drugs responsibly, who will?  For
instance, I know there are kids who are wasting excessive amounts of
marijuana because no one has taught them how to make a decent roach clip.
Here's a chance for shop class to become relevant, you know what I mean?

The problem is that the educators are not keeping up to date.  How many,
for instance, have done Extacy?  (Well, okay, there are some "with-it"
teachers, mostly younger ones, who are savvy about this stuff, but they
may not want to embarrass their older colleagues by admitting their depth
- or height - of experience.)  Oh sure, you get some of these old timers
who go home and get polluted on a bottle of Southern Comfort or two. But
that's nothing; kids today are way beyond that by the time they're in 6th
grade.  What's needed is a good professional development program in this
area.

Now that's where I come in.  Give me a call and I'll meet you later
tonight in the parking lot behind the Chinese restaurant. . .

-Vince