I am in the beginning stages of working with our guidance person and
various other entities to develop and implement a grade appropriate
Internet Safety curriculum. (K-6) My thanks to those who have
responded off list to my queries.
However, I am also, upon request, looking to design a
"curriculum" for parents and wish to include (though I really
hate them) "home" software applications that they can examine
for personal use.
I do not give recommendations unless I have really tested the software
but I can provide a list that parents can choose from instead of them
shopping on their own.
I have no children at home any longer. But, I am a bit worried/concerned
about the latest revaluation from my grown children, one of whom works
for what could be considered the largest "Internet data mining"
company in the US, that many of the companies that produce and market
"safety" applications are selling data to outside parties for
the use in targeted advertising.
So, in the interest of only compiling a "short list" for
parents, what software have you heard of/had experience with?
Thanks a great deal,
At 03:12 PM 8/26/2009, you wrote:
Please publish a list to the list serve when you hear from
On Tue, Aug 25, 2009 at 1:04 PM, Ed Barry
<[log in to unmask]>
- Hi All:
- In order to stay in compliance with the “Protecting Children in the
- Century Act” [Title II of the “Broadband Data Improvement Act,” we
- reviewing our Internet Safety curriculum. Presently we use
- has always been free. It appears that they are now charging for
- Just wondering what others are using and if anyone has something
- think highly of and would recommend. We are looking for a
- comprehensive K-12 curriculum.
- Thanks for any info.
- Ed Barry
- Director of Information Technology Services
- Milton Town School District
- 42 Herrick Avenue
- Milton, VT 05468
- (802)893-3210 FAX 893-3227
- CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail message, including any
- for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain
- and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure,
- distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient,
- contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy/delete all copies of
- original message.
Sharon Hayes, School Library Media Specialist
Folsom Educational and Community Center
75 South St.
South Hero, VT 05486
[log in to unmask]
Townshend School District
PO Box 226
Townshend, VT 05353-0226