I haven't had a chance to look at these yet, but they may be of interest.
Walden's 8th graders are using class.com this year, their tech support
sent me the following list of options for "screen readers" -
FREE
Fire Vox - Firefox add-on - "reads everything, including system dialogs,
buttons ...
    for a less intrusive version, see CLC..."
CLiCk (CLC) - Firefox add-on by creators of Fire Vox. "...select some text,
    then right-click and choose 'Speak Selection.'"
SpeakComputer (www.speakcomputers.com) - "standalone app reads browsers
    and other content - use 'Mini Speaker' option to get it to read
browser text
    with a minimum of hassle."
FREE & FEE
NaturalReader - uses AT&T Natural Voice, allows conversion to MP3 -
    free version only works for admin installation, full version $49
FEE
Expressivo - PC only. $49.

Sigurd Andersen