Vince's point is a bit hyperbolic, but it is valid. I was listening to
VPR the other day where they were interviewing "recovering internet
addicts". These individuals had to participate in a program to help wean
them off the internet because their chronic dependence (all day, every
day) was having a deleterious effect on the quality of their lives.
Doctors recommend 81 mg of aspirin a day to ward off heart ailments.
Wouldn't that be a useful and safe level of drug use? Drugs have
beneficial aspects, just like the internet. But both can be abused.
The only point I'm making here is that the comparison between the two is
neither disingenuous, nor does it cloud the debate. It's actually a
valid and interesting comparison.

Charlie Cavanaugh

--
Charlie Cavanaugh