From: School Information Technology Discussion [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Donald LaPlante
Sent: Monday, September 21, 2009 12:23 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Social Networking

We are just beginning discussions in our district around the notion of
opening our networks. The thought essentially is to focus on student and
teacher education in terms of ethical use of our resources. There is a
great article in EdWeek, I think the last issue, concerning this topic.
Several school districts have moved in this direction across the country.

The essential question is: How do you teach students to make good/ethcial
choices if you do not open the network. Obviously, there are pitfalls but
I think there are offsetting, rich opportunities.

Challenging stuff!!

Donald A. LaPlante, Ed.D.
Superintendent of Schools
Hartford School District