Facebook, YouTube, personal email and the like are open in all classrooms and labs to adults and students. It's a 9-12 school. The common stations in the library have some things restricted like facebook due to sporadic supervision.

That's where we sit currently. We based the proposed change on: "Education is not best delivered through denial of service." The changes opened up the network to students and adults to, well,... use. Two years running on this now.

Students had a large hand in rewriting the AUP which is now titled "Network Usage Agreement" here. There was some poker playing aka give and take whilst advancing perceptions and discussions on the topic... but the outcome has advanced conversations on all fronts. I think that's a good thing. Here's the summary:

http://bbatechresearch.blogspot.com/2005/08/acceptable-use-policy-proposal-retitled.html

Bruce Wayne
RLab at Burr and Burton Academy