Steven,

     Perhaps you might consider a masonry stove.  While potentially costing quite a bit more in either time or labor, there are many benefits to this type of heating stove.  I have seen many that incorporate some sort of stove top into the design...some even have pizza ovens !  These types of stoves work extremely well with passive house designs.  You could also incorporate your idea of DHW into the design of the stove and/or radiant floor heating (if this is part of your plan design).  The Masonry Heater Association is a good resource for info and builders of these stoves:  http://mha-net.org/

Yestermorrow has also offered classes on the design/build of these stoves: http://yestermorrow.org/courses/mmbs/fireplace.htm

If you would like, I can put you in touch with someone in the Burlington area who instructed the above course.

Best,

Ben Griffin, LEED AP

www.greenerlivingbuilders.com

"Everyone should carefully observe which way his heart draws him, and then choose that way with all his strength."