RE: [SKIVT-L] Bolton Valley Wind Turbine

Denis writes:

>Modern wind turbines generate ~ 1 Megawatt of power.  That is a big number.  After applying the 'capacity >factor' (the fraction of max. that you can hope to get 365 24/7) of ~ 35% that is still 350 Kilowatts.  I have no feel >for these things but that is still a big number.

Yabbut, the lil pinwheel theyre installing at Bolton is a pipsqueak, a mini, not a mega-mill.   Its only 125 tall, with 33 blades. The BLADES on a typical mega-mill are on the order of 100 (about as long as the Bolton units tower!)  With 33 blades its probably rated at ‾150-200kilowatts peak, but there are a lot of hours in a year  The article mentions an annual yield of 350 megawatt-hours- to crank out 350megawatt-hours in a year it only needs to average 40kw, which is credible for a reasonably (but not necessarily optimally) located mill in the the 150-200kw peak range.

If 350 megawatt-hours is 1/8 of the annual power used at Bolton, their annual power use runs to 2.8 gigawatt-hours, heavily loaded in the December/January snowmaking season- not the summer air-conditioning period.  Yeah, thats a pretty big number compared to a single-family dwellings use (the US average is ‾10kwh/year, including the heavily air-conditioned south- Yankees typically use less) but microscopic compared to even a small aluminum smelter. J

FWIW: The mill at Jiminy Peak is rated 1.5 megawatts peak and sports 37-meter (121 foot) blades- about an order of magnitude more mill than the Bolton unit.

dana

_____________ ________ __