Denis,

I have yet to ride cross-country or cross-state, but back when I was a lad,
I rode the Passau-Vienna leg of the Donauradweg (Danube Bike Trail:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donauradweg). Unlike most people, I rode the
path in both directions, so the round-trip mileage, including sidetrips, was
somewhere between four and five hundred miles. I rode at a reasonable pace
on a five-speed bike I picked up used for about thirty dollars.

If you are interested in multi-day bike trips, the Passau-Vienna leg offers
a superb introduction. The path is paved, well-signed, and separate from
roads most of the time. It merges with auto traffic generally when winding
through the small medieval villages that dot the Danube. You cycle past
majestic monasteries, through Austria's finest vineyards (the Wachau), and
under the guard of castles--including one, Dürnstein, where Richard the
Lion-Hearted was held captive. Countless routes branching away from the
river offer splendid opportunities to see more of the countryside--and more
elevation change.  Bed and breakfasts, "Pensions," that cater to cyclists
line the trail, and crossing the great river is facilitated by ferries
specifically intended for bikers. Vienna merits a visit on its own. Oh, and
the reeb is quite servicable. A few I recommend include Schloss Eggenberg
(You can get their Samichlaus here in the States.), Freistädter Bier,
Ottakringer, undsoweiterundsofort...

I exhort everyone to bike this route at least once in their lives. I've
advised non-German-speaking Americans who have returned raving about their
experiences. I am, of course, happy to do the same for any Skivittler.

Ben K.

On Wed, Sep 9, 2009 at 11:03 AM, Denis Bogan <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Evan's ride prompts me to link this from another forum,
>
> http://www.telemarktalk.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=60014
>
> Has anyone done one of these, or any of the multi day ride across a state
> events?  The appeal to me is that it's not a race.  I could get into a
> recreational ride across quiet countryside.  It would require some serious
> training of course.

caveat lector