UVM Tower Logo[log in to unmask]" height="144" width="109">

The University of Vermont

Office of the Provost and Senior Vice President

October 26, 2009

TO:                  The Faculty of the University of Vermont

FROM:            Jane Knodell, Interim Provost and Senior Vice President
                        Domenico Grasso, Vice President for Research and Dean of the Graduate College

SUBJECT:      Transdisciplinary Research Initiative: Working Group Membership

We’re pleased to report that the call for Transdisciplinary Research Initiative Working Group nominations was met with an enthusiastic response. We extend our sincerest thanks to the more than 140 members of our faculty who nominated themselves. We’re also grateful to the members of our community who have given the initiative the thoughtful consideration it deserves, and have shared their thinking with us. After reviewing the remarkable expertise and accomplishments of our nominees, we are further convinced that we must pursue, and can achieve, the highest levels of excellence and distinction within our research enterprise.

We encourage nominees that were not named to Working Groups to remain engaged in the process. There are several ways faculty members can share their insights and feedback as proposals are developed:

With so many fine candidates, determining Working Group membership was enormously difficult, but a welcome challenge. We sought input from the Deans individually, the Deans working collaboratively, members of the Faculty Senate Executive Council, including the Chair of the Senate Research, Scholarship, and Graduate Education Committee, and members of the senior academic leadership.  Among the factors that were considered: academic accomplishment; experience; interdisciplinary nature of a faculty member’s scholarship; balanced representation among the units; and a diversity of perspectives within each Working Group. It was not possible to achieve a perfect balance in all cases, but we believe our selections represent the necessary blend of talent, ingenuity, resourcefulness and ambition.

The Transdisciplinary Research Initiative is a joint endeavor of the faculty and the administration. The academic Deans will serve as Working Group liaisons. These senior scholars will provide the groups with guidance on process, offer broad scholarly perspectives, and share practical advice.

We have great confidence in the extraordinary group of faculty we have assembled for this task, and look forward to reviewing the results of their work.

CC: UVM Staff and Students

TRANSDISCIPLINARY RESEARCH INITIATIVE – WORKING GROUP MEMBERSHIP

BIOLOGICAL SCIENCES:
Prof. Richard Galbraith, College of Medicine,(Chair)
Prof. Jason Bates, College of Medicine
Prof. James Iatridis, College of Engineering & Mathematical Sciences
Prof. Chris Landry, College of Arts & Sciences
Prof. Mark Nelson, College of Medicine
Prof. Mary Tierney, College of Agriculture & Life Sciences
Prof. James Vigoreaux, College of Arts & Sciences
Prof. David Warshaw, College of Medicine
Prof. Andre Wright, College of Agriculture & Life Sciences
Liaison: Dean Thomas Vogelmann, College of Agriculture & Life Sciences

COMPLEX SYSTEMS:
Prof. Maggie Eppstein, College of Engineering & Mathematical Sciences (Chair)
Prof. Christopher Danforth, College of Engineering & Mathematical Sciences
Prof. Charles Hulse, Rubenstein School of Environment & Natural Resources
Prof. Charles Irvin, College of Medicine
Prof. David Novak, School of Business Administration
Prof. Alessandra Rellini, College of Arts & Sciences
Prof. Donna Rizzo, College of Engineering & Mathematical Sciences
Prof. Russell Tracy, College of Medicine
Prof. Asim Zia, College of Agriculture & Life Sciences
Liaison: Dean Chip Cole, College of Engineering & Mathematical Sciences
            Dean Larry Shirland, School of Business Administration

CULTURE & SOCIETY:
Prof. David Jenemann, College of Arts & Sciences (Chair)
Prof. Susan Comerford, College of Education & Social Services
Prof. Meghan Cope, College of Arts & Sciences
Prof. Peter Dodds, College of Engineering & Mathematical Sciences
Prof. Lokangaka Losambe, College of Arts & Sciences
Prof. Jeffrey D. Marshall, Libraries
Prof. William Mierse, College of Arts & Sciences
Prof. David Shiman, College of Education & Social Services
Prof. Thomas Streeter, College of Arts & Sciences
Liaison: Dean Abu Rizvi, Honors College

ENVIRONMENT:
Prof. Jane Molofsky, College of Agriculture & Life Sciences (Chair)
Prof. Saleem Ali, Rubenstein School of Environment & Natural Resources
Prof. Lisa Aultman-Hall, College of Engineering & Mathematical Sciences
Prof. Dennis Clougherty, College of Arts & Sciences
Prof. Nicholas Gotelli, College of Arts & Sciences
Prof. William Keeton, Rubenstein School of Environment & Natural Resources
Prof. Leon Walls, College of Education & Social Services
Prof. Beverly Wemple, College of Arts & Sciences
Liaison: Dean Mary Watzin, Rubenstein School of Environment & Natural Resources

FOOD SYSTEMS:
Prof. Vern Grubinger, Extension (Chair)
Prof. Linda Berlin, Extension
Prof. Elizabeth Berman, Libraries
Prof. Jane Kolodinsky, College of Agriculture & Life Sciences
Prof. Deborah Neher, College of Agriculture & Life Sciences
Prof. Bob Parsons, College of Agriculture & Life Sciences
Prof. Amy Trubek, College of Agriculture & Life Sciences
Prof. Kimberly Wallin, Rubenstein School of Environment & Natural Resources
Liaison: Dean Cynthia Belliveau, Continuing Education
            Dean Douglas Lantagne, Extension

NEUROSCIENCE:
Prof. Mark Bouton, College of Arts & Sciences (Chair)
Prof. Sharon Henry, College of Nursing & Health Sciences
Prof. Stephen Higgins, College of Medicine
Prof. Jesse Jacobs, College of Nursing & Health Sciences
Prof. Rae Nishi, College of Medicine
Prof. Susan Ryan, College of Education & Social Services
Prof. Timothy Stickle, College of Arts & Sciences
Prof. Margaret Vizzard, College of Medicine
Liaison: Dean Patricia Prelock, College of Nursing & Health Sciences

POLICY STUDIES:
Prof. Cynthia Gerstl-Pepin, College of Education & Social Services (Chair)
Prof. Paul Hines, College of Engineering & Mathematical Sciences
Prof. Chris Koliba, College of Agriculture & Life Sciences
Prof. Felicia Kornbluh, College of Arts & Sciences
Prof. Bud Meyers, College of Education & Social Services
Prof. Beth Mintz, College of Arts & Sciences
Prof. Maureen Neumann, College of Education & Social Services
Prof. Richard Vanden Bergh, School of Business Administration
Liaison: Dean Eleanor Miller, College of Arts & Sciences
            Dean Fayneese Miller, College of Education & Social Services

PUBLIC HEALTH:
Prof. Judith Shaw, College of Medicine (Chair)
Prof. Judith Cohen, College of Nursing & Health Sciences
Prof. Jon Erickson, Rubenstein School of Environment & Natural Resources
Prof. Brian Flynn, College of Medicine
Prof. Diane Jette, College of Nursing & Health Sciences
Prof. George Leibowitz, College of Education & Social Services
Prof. Indra Neil Sarkar, College of Medicine
Prof. Jeanne Shea, College of Arts & Sciences
Liaison: Dean Rick Morin, College of Medicine