UVM Tower Logo

The University of Vermont

Center for Health and Wellbeing

October 30, 2009

Current Situation

Symptoms compatible with H1N1 influenza continue to affect a significant number of individuals on campus.  The Fever and Flu Clinic (located under the Ira Allen Chapel) has evaluated approximately 350 students since it opened on Tuesday; this number is likely to be smaller than the number of students who are having similar symptoms.  Affected students are recovering well and we expect that most students will be able to return to class within about five days.

Important Points for Students

Make use of the Fever and Flu clinic if you have a fever (100 degrees or higher) or have been feverish and you wish to be evaluated.  While most people will recover from this illness without needing to see a doctor, please strongly consider being evaluated if you have a chronic health condition - including asthma, diabetes, or a weakened immune system.

The Fever and Flu clinic:

For care on Saturday, call 656-3350 in order to be seen at the Student Health Center between 9:00 am and 1:00 pm.  The office is closed on Sundays.  You may access advice about your health after hours by calling 656-3350.

Important Points for Faculty

Please remember that a significant percentage of the student population will experience illness related to the novel H1N1 virus.  Pandemics such as this occurs less than once a generation; we ask that you factor the unique nature of this event into your approach to students who find themselves dealing with this illness as you implement your class policies related to assignment deadlines, attendance, and testing.  The Center for Health and Wellbeing is not able to supply verification of a student’s illness.

H1N1 vaccine availability

The Center for Health and Wellbeing will be offering a limited number of the H1N1 vaccine to the University Community at the Davis Center on Thursday, November 5th between the hours of 9:00 a.m. and 12:00 noon.

Further details will be shared regarding this vaccination clinic early next week.  In the meanwhile, please note that the Center will be able to offer only the nasal form of the vaccine on that day.  The nasal vaccine is not suitable for individuals who:

We are eager to provide the injectable form of the vaccine to individuals who are not able to use the nasal form and continue to work closely with the Vermont Department of Health to secure adequate vaccine for all members of our community.

Important Points for All Community Members:

Further Information

Please refer to the University’s Emergency Web Site for regularly updated information about H1N1 on campus.  The site will continue to be your best source of information about the University’s response to H1N1 influenza.