On September 24th, I solicited information on having a Library Services
Reference Desk in Hospital Lobby.  Thanks to those who responded. In
addition to the responses below, we received several e-mails of
encouragement, which we greatly appreciate. Below is a summary of

Great opportunity. Design a bookmark featuring the library and hand them
out to people who enter the lobby. Also, Hershey's Kisses work wonders
for PR.

May I strongly urge you to not sit behind the desk, but stand in front
of it to meet and greet at eye level.

I have done something similar here.  A major customer dept. (Clinical
Research Unit) moved off-site in late 2006.  I proposed that I begin a
once-a-week reference and one-on-one training service in their new
building.  That was so successful that it evolved into a true satellite
library & training venue, including 2 internet-access walkups.

Another clinical dept here (another separate building) also had me
create an in-house reference service for them, after hearing rave
reviews about the CRU's service.

Your space would be great for patient friends/family to learn more about
their healthcare interests.  The Medspeak brochure from MLA would be a
good starting point.

What a wonderful idea!  Talk about thinking "outside the box"!  Hospital
librarians need to be taking advantage of this sort of thing and jumping
of it with both feet when a chance opportunity presents itself.  GO FOR
IT!

I have no experience exactly, but it would be like setting up a
reference desk, I would think...maybe a few print materials of things
not available online and of course, access to lots of online stuff.  I
once took a computer and printer to a Women's Expo here in Detroit and
did provided searches on topics to anyone who wanted one. That was in
the days before full text so all I could give them was a list of
articles and suggest that they go to their public library to get the
information.  But they were grateful for the information. Besides, it
was challenging and fun!

The biggest thing would be to have an experienced librarian at the
desk--one with lots of search and database experience...and of course,
excellent IT support and LOTS of databases.  Full text would be great
because you could give them something right away and not have to worry
about document delivery, although that would be very useful for staff.

Once again, thanks again to all who responded!

Wendy T. Pesch, MLIS, AHIP
Librarian, Health Sciences Library
Baton Rouge General Medical Center
3600 Florida Blvd