I'm fairly certain the 3 skiers you encountered on nosedive were none other
than Ski-VT's own Famous Internet Skiers (.com). That was some great fast
grass. Glad you had a good day too.

Allen

On Sun, Oct 4, 2009 at 8:51 AM, Jay Silveira <[log in to unmask]>wrote:

>  Stowe, Vermont – October 1st, 2009
>

> For quite a while, the local weather gurus had been talking about the
> potential for local snow at the end of September/beginning of October.  On
> Wednesday, September 30th, reports started coming in of white in the
> mountains, and from UVM I could see the tendrils of snowfall crashing out
> along the Green Mountain spine.  It was looking like Thursday morning
> would feature some real accumulations of snow, but on Wednesday evening the
> snowfall seemed to come to a halt.  I started to reconsider my thoughts of
> taking a Thursday morning trip up to Mt. Mansfield, but sometime after dark
> I checked the local radar and it looked like snowfall was blooming again.
> I awoke Thursday morning to see that there were still echoes on the radar,
> the temperature at the house was ~41 F, and our back deck was wet.  I
> suspected there had been some additional snow on Mansfield, so I hopped in
> the car and decided that I’d at least go for a hike before work.
>

> While I couldn’t see much white at all on my drive to the mountain, as I
> finally got close to Mt. Mansfield, I could see that there was a good
> covering of snow from about the middle elevations of Spruce Peak on up.  I
> parked in the upper lot of the gondola (~1,600’) and there were a half dozen
> cars that looked like they could belong to other early morning folks
> checking out the snow.  Snow was falling all around me, and while it
> wasn’t sticking at the base, I could see white on the ground not far above.
> At some point after 7:30 A.M., I strapped my skis on my pack and headed up
> Nosedive, hitting the snow line right around 1,800’.  The depth of the
> snow didn’t increase too quickly, only up to maybe ½ to 1 inch in depth by
> the 2,000’ mark.  I thought that the snow would probably be great for the
> junkboarders, but I wasn’t quite sure about those who were on regular skis.
> Not long after I had that thought though, I met three skiers coming down
> Nosedive, right around the intersection with National.  They clearly
> seemed to be making due on regular skis and seemed to be enjoying it.  During
> my ascent it snowed most of the time, and occasionally the snow came down
> with moderate to heavy intensity.  Being starved for a bit of winter
> weather, I loved it.
>

> Even by the top of Nosedive (~3,600’) the snow was only up to about 3
> inches in depth, but I hiked on a bit farther to check out the Mt. Mansfield
> stake.  There was some vegetation in front of the stake (~3,700’) that
> hadn’t let the snow settle all the way to the ground, but the depth of the
> snow was clearly less than 6 inches.  At least one vehicle had driven on
> the Toll Road, but I still popped on my old Telemark skis and did a little
> gliding in the untouched snow outside the tire tracks.  That was quite
> pleasant, although due to the minimal snowfall, there was the occasional
> crunch of a piece of gravel.  Not wanting to deal with the hassle of
> [...]

As lonely as the mountain can be, lonelier still is the man whose travels
take him away from the mountains.

www.famousinternetskiers.com