Dear colleagues,

We would like to bring to your attention the following session of the European Geosciences Union General Assembly 2010 in Vienna, 2 – 7 May 2010. It is a perfect home for either natural abundance or isotopic tracer studies of soil and ecosystem C cycles.

BG2.5/AS4.18 Biosphere-Atmosphere interactions: Improving measurements and models of soil respiration and its components (co-sponsored by iLEAPS)

Session Details: Accurate predictions of soil respiration rates are crucial to the predictive modelling of regional and global ecosystem carbon budgets. The challenge arises, in part, because CO2 efflux comprises a range of sources that are difficult to separate using conventional methods. The sources include autotrophic contributions from roots and rhizosphere, as well as heterotrophic decomposition of soil organic matter of different ages and ‘qualities’ referring to the bonding structure of complex soil organic matter molecules. Over the past decade, there have been many advances in studying soil carbon dynamics, including improved methods in direct soil CO2 efflux measurements and C turnover in soils using isotopic tracers, as well as approaches to identify heterotrophic soil communities and their seasonal dynamics. In this session, we invite contributions that examine measurements and/or models of either total or partitioned flux of CO2 from soils. In particular, we encourage studies that investigate relationships between ecosystem productivity and autotrophic activity, microbial dynamics, C turnover in soils, and respiration across space and time, especially those studies that employ novel methodologies that advance the mechanistic understanding of respiration. Submissions that attempt a synthesis across a range of spatial and temporal scales are particularly encouraged, while studies aimed at process understanding at a particular scale are equally welcomed.

Confirmed keynote speakers: Alf Ekblad (Örebro University, Sweden) and Michael Bahn (Univ. Innsbruck, Austria)

Abstract deadline: 18th January 2010
Deadline for Support Applications: 4th December 2009

For more detail and abstract submission, please see: http://meetingorganizer.copernicus.org/EGU2010/session/2632

Please feel free to forward this message to anyone you think may be interested.

As convenors for this session, we look forward to receiving your abstracts. Hoping to see many of you in Vienna!

Jens-Arne Subke
Myroslava Khomik
Mariah Carbone
Paul Stoy