Dear colleagues,

We would like to bring to your attention the following session of the
European Geosciences Union General Assembly 2010 in Vienna, 2 -- 7 May
2010. It is a perfect home for either natural abundance or isotopic
tracer studies of soil and ecosystem C cycles.

*BG2.5/AS4.18 Biosphere-Atmosphere interactions: Improving measurements
and models of soil respiration and its components (co-sponsored by iLEAPS)*

*Session Details: *Accurate predictions of soil respiration rates are
crucial to the predictive modelling of regional and global ecosystem
carbon budgets. The challenge arises, in part, because CO_2 efflux
comprises a range of sources that are difficult to separate using
conventional methods. The sources include autotrophic contributions from
roots and rhizosphere, as well as heterotrophic decomposition of soil
organic matter of different ages and 'qualities' referring to the
bonding structure of complex soil organic matter molecules. Over the
past decade, there have been many advances in studying soil carbon
dynamics, including improved methods in direct soil CO_2 efflux
measurements and C turnover in soils using isotopic tracers, as well as
approaches to identify heterotrophic soil communities and their seasonal
dynamics. In this session, we invite contributions that examine
measurements and/or models of either total or partitioned flux of CO_2
from soils. In particular, we encourage studies that investigate
relationships between ecosystem productivity and autotrophic activity,
microbial dynamics, C turnover in soils, and respiration across space
and time, especially those studies that employ novel methodologies that
advance the mechanistic understanding of respiration. Submissions that
attempt a synthesis across a range of spatial and temporal scales are
particularly encouraged, while studies aimed at process understanding at
a particular scale are equally welcomed.

*Confirmed keynote speakers:* Alf Ekblad (Írebro University, Sweden) and
Michael Bahn (Univ. Innsbruck, Austria)

Abstract deadline: *18^th January 2010*
Deadline for Support Applications: *4^th December 2009*

For more detail and abstract submission, please see:
http://meetingorganizer.copernicus.org/EGU2010/session/2632

Please feel free to forward this message to anyone you think may be
interested.

As convenors for this session, we look forward to receiving your
abstracts. Hoping to see many of you in Vienna!

Jens-Arne Subke
Myroslava Khomik
Mariah Carbone
Paul Stoy