Hi Anne

We use double distilled dichloromethane (DCM) as the solvent of choice for removing lipids from tissue samples and extracting lipids for analysis from soils and plant material. We use a Dionex accelerated solvent extractor(ASE 200) run at 100oC and 2000psi - two 5-minute cycles recovers all the lipids.

Cheers

Max

Max Gibbs
NIWA, PO Box 11-115
Gate 10 Silverdale Rd
Hamilton 3251
New Zealand

Phone: +64 7856 1773
Fax: +64 7856 0151
Cell: 027 604 1449
Email: [log in to unmask]
>>> Fname Lname <[log in to unmask]> 5/11/2009 7:06 a.m. >>>
While looking at the scientific literature, there seems to be quite a
spread of solvents used to extract lipids from tissues ultimately
analyzing the tissue for 15N & 13C.  New to this, I am trying to veer
from the chloroform/methanol solution.  Are there any other solvents
that people are happy using generating  accurate isotopic results?  I
ultimately plan on capturing the lipid fraction and analyzing 15N & 13C
as well as the lipid extracted muscle tissue.

Thanks, Anne

Anne M. Cotter
U.S. Environmental Protection Agency
Mid-Continent Ecology Division