From: Stable Isotope Geochemistry [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Michael Whiticar
Sent: Thursday, November 05, 2009 10:18 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [ISOGEOCHEM] MAT 250 programs

Dear Isotopologists,

Well, the slip was mine, as Chuck Douthitt kindly

pointed out that Varian actually owned MAT from

1967-1981. Clearly, the dementia has set in for

me.

I had to Chuckle at the "etwas geschmacklos"

advertisement that he sent me (which I would

shamelessly pass on to you here, but the

listserve rejects attachments - unlike flies on a

dog).

Of more interest is the Curt Burnnée RCMS article

that describes the early years. Although for some

of us it was mercilessly not so long ago, I can

remember a talk at the Gordon Conference that

once referred to some less recent work as "...way

back in the '90s!"  hmmmm.

Again I can not attach the paper here for your

amusement, but if you would like a copy drop me

an email offline. (Curt Burnnée, 1997, Rapid

Commun. Mass Spectrom 11, 694-707).

Best wishes,

Michael

>Frank,

>Did I detect a Freudian slip here - I recall

>that Finnigan MAT sold the 250 IRMS

>Anyway, from one of those who well remembers the

>orange giants while at the BGR, there was/is a

>port of the software from the HP 9815 to a PC

>base (some basic pre-386). Track down Ingolf

>Dumke at the BGR and he may be able to help.

>There were others who did the same, but in my

>demented state - triggered by lascivious

>thoughts of the ol' 250 workhorses - I can't

>remember.

>Gee, I can remember Eckhard Faber and I though

>scouring Germany for the remaining HP 9815 back

>in the mid- '80's.

>Good luck.

>Cheers

>Michael

>>Hello,                   November 2, 2009

>>      We have a Varian MAT 250 isotope ratio mass spectrometer (SN#

>>8223).  This instrument was manufactured in December 1979, a year or

>>more before MAT was purchased by Finnigan.  Unlike the subsequent 251

>>model, which used an Apple II computer, our MAT 250 uses a Hewlett

>>Packard 9815a calculator/computer to operate the mass spectrometer.

>>The hp 9815a calculator/MAT 250 system came with a set of programs on

>>DC 100 cassette tapes.  Some of these tapes were pre-programmed by hp,

>>and some were pre-programmed by the MAT factory at Bremen.

>>      Does anyone still have a Varian/Finnigan MAT 250, or a Hewlett

>>Packard 9815a calculator/computer, or any of the program tapes for

>>this instrument?

>>      Thank you, very much!

>>                      Sincerely, Frank Simpson

>>University of Wisconsin, USA

>>1-608-849-3382

>--

>Michael J. Whiticar

>Professor, Biogeochemistry

>School of Earth and Ocean Sciences

>University of Victoria

Dr. Michael J. Whiticar

Professor, Biogeochemistry

School of Earth and Ocean Sciences, University of Victoria

www.biogeochemistry.uvic.ca/

tel: 250 721 6514    fax: 250 721 6200

-------------------

Biogeochemistry Facility (Lab): 250 721 6183

SEOS main office: 250 721 6120

-------------------

Mailing Address:

Room A429, School of Earth and Ocean Sciences

Centre for Ocean, Earth and Atmospheric Sciences

PO Box 3065 STN CSC, Victoria, BC  V8W 3V6, Canada

Physical/Courier Address:

Room A429, School of Earth and Ocean Sciences

Centre for Ocean, Earth and Atmospheric Sciences

3800 Finnerty Road, Victoria, BC  V8P 5C2, Canada

Maps:

http://www.uvic.ca/maps/2dmap.html

http://www.uvic.ca/buildings/scb.html