By literal definition, atom % is the concentration of an element based of the number of moles (or atoms) of a particular element
relative to the total number of moles (or atoms) of all elements in a given
sample (e.g., within an alloy). In the stable isotope world, we use the
concentration of the number of atoms of a particular isotope of a specific
element divided by the total number of atoms of all the isotopes of that
particular element (e.g., for oxygen; O16, O17 and O18) ignoring the
radioisotopes of that element, which would be insignificant in an enriched
stable isotopic product. The measurement of enriched stable isotopes can be accomplished
by several methodologies (e.g., quadrapole MS, time-of-flight MS, GC/MS, LC/MS,
ICP/MS, IR, NMR).

In the stable isotope community, the terms isotopic enrichment and atom % are,
in most respects, used interchangeably. Manufacturers of enriched stable
isotopes typically use atom % for building block materials (e.g., CO, CO2, NO)
to produce enriched labeled compounds and the subsequent labeled compounds are
labeled as % enrichment.

I'm sure my former colleagues will have a better explanation than what I have
given here.

Mark Lemley (former employee of a stable isotope company)

Quality Assurance Manager

Project Chemist

Quality Laboratories, Inc. (EPA SW-846 testing laboratory)

Hamilton, OH

email: [log in to unmask]