Dear colleagues,

We want to bring to your attention the following session that will
occur during the next EGU meeting that will take place in Vienna
(Austria) between May 2nd and 7th 2010
(http://meetingorganizer.copernicus.org/EGU2010/session/2523):

"Late Quaternary mammal ecology: insight from new approaches (direct
dating, stable isotopes, DNA)"
Mammalian fauna experienced dramatic changes during the late
Quaternary (ca. since 50,000 yr BP) leading to large scale extirpation
and extinction events and distribution shifts. Climatic change and
anthropogenic pressure are the main causes considered for these
events, but the exact contribution of each kind of process and the
detailed scenarios for these changes are still difficult to establish
and subject to hot debates. During the last two decades, new
approaches augmented the field of palaeontological studies and yielded
invaluable information relevant to understand these processes at an
unprecedented resolution level. On the basis of clear palaeontological
data, the recent contributions of three of these approaches will be
discussed in this session: direct radiocarbon dating of fossil
remains, palaeoecological reconstruction based on stable isotope
tracking and palaeogenetic investigations (e.g., phylogeography and
palaeogenomics).

We want to encourage scientists from different fields to take this
opportunity to present their new results and discuss their
implications in a pluridisciplinary context. Abstracts can be
submitted until January 18th, 2010 directly to the EGU 2010 homepage
(http://meetingorganizer.copernicus.org/EGU2010/session/2523). We are
planning to publish the proceedings of this session in an
international peer-reviewed journal (more information will follow).

Feel to contact us if you have any questions
([log in to unmask]; [log in to unmask])

We apologize in case of cross postings.

We are looking forward to see you in Vienna soon.

Best regards

Hervé Bocherens and Martina Pacher