At 02:27 PM 11/11/2009, Dean Williams wrote:
The software download site now carries this clarification of the NOD32 license:

Licensed for UVM students on personally-owned computers and for faculty/staff on UVM-owned computers only.

This is news to me. I thought all along that NOD32, and Norton Anti-virus before it, were licensed for home use for all UVM affiliates. Isn't the idea to make it as easy as possible for the UVM community to keep their computers virus-free, so as not to infect the campus network?

If the license really does not include faculty/staff personally owned computers, I think we should upgrade the license so that it does.

Many/most of us use personally owned computers to do UVM work from home, and there is also a gray area with, say, my laptop that was paid for partly by my department and partly by me. Is that UVM owned, or personally owned?

Helen Read
Senior Lecturer
Department of Mathematics & Statistics
University of Vermont