You, sir, have a *lot* of patience!!! :) Thank you for that.

	David Houston
	University of Vermont
	Phone: (802) 656 2013
	**
        "You are nestled in our hearts forever"
        **

On Thu, 12 Nov 2009, J. Greg Mackinnon intoned:

JGM:
JGM:
JGM:David Houston wrote:
JGM:
JGM: Is it me or is that just plain incompetence on the part of the vendor???
JGM:Sheesh, they charge us a lot of money for a somewhat restrictive license
JGM:whose renewal comes smack in the middle of the semester and for which we
JGM:apparently are flatly denied the knowledge or power to stop the warning
JGM:messages (which gets EVERYone caught up in their knickers!) and then they
JGM:send us an expired "renewal"????  Ya think?  Should we, again, review our
JGM:choices going forward?
JGM:
JGM:
JGM:
JGM:It is not just you, although to be fair I think that the problem was more that I
JGM:misinterpreted the email as being our new license, when the message more likely was
JGM:a misfiring of their license renewal notification system... meh.  Either way it is
JGM:just more junk mail in my inbox, and not what we need at the moment.
JGM:
JGM:Now I would be inclined to agree that we are dealing with an incompetent software
JGM:vendor, and that we should switch immediately.  This was the argument that I made
JGM:when then-CIT ditched McAfee in favor of Norton AV (later Symantec AV), and it was
JGM:the argument that I made again when we ditched SAV in favor of NOD32.  Both
JGM:transitions seemed reasonable at the time, but neither has resulted in a solution
JGM:that is 100% (or perhaps even 50%) satisfactory anti-threat solution.
JGM:
JGM:If I had some assurance that moving to a new vendor would really be a positive
JGM:improvement, I would be all for it.  Of course, getting all of those NOD32
JGM:installations upgraded would be a beast of a project... not to mention those 600 or
JGM:so remaining SAV installs.
JGM:
JGM:Enough ranting... I'll let you know when I have any new information on the licensing
JGM:front.
JGM:
JGM:-Greg
JGM: