Indeed.  Sounds to me like the variety of products and high level of
interest might be appropriate to have the Standards group consider this?
If we wind up with a pay product, makes sense to pool efforts...

	David Houston
	University of Vermont
	Phone: (802) 656 2013
	**
        "You are nestled in our hearts forever"
        **

On Fri, 13 Nov 2009, Bryan Fleming intoned:

BF:I had tried using remote assistance a few years ago initially hoping it would
BF:be my remote elixir of wonder.  But I have rarely gotten it to connect to me
BF:in those situations when a client is behind a nat router and I am as well.
BF:Maybe they've worked through those bugs and it works better these days.  Any
BF:feedback on that sort of home based rather than campus based setup?
BF:
BF:I had tried a trial version of logmeinrescue.com a couple weeks ago.  I ran a
BF:number of remote help sessions with it with some very good success.  I have
BF:to admit I was impressed.  Works on macs and PCs.  You can even pay more to
BF:have access to smartphones. (wasn't my concern, but may be interesting to
BF:some).  Works through a web browser, so you can  send someone a link to
BF:initiate a remote session or just have them go to logmein123.com and enter a
BF:pin code you generate.  Felt fairly polished.
BF:This discussion is quite timely as I am starting to investigate a good option
BF:for our group.
BF:
BF:-Bryan
BF:
BF:Geoffrey Duke wrote:
BF:> I have used the Remote Assistance feature of XP/Vista/Windows 7 many times,
BF:> which is not the same as Remote Desktop. It meets the first four criteria,
BF:> below. Although it isn't Open Source, it is built into Windows OSes, and so
BF:> doesn't require installing additional software.
BF:>
BF:>