Are your "hundreds of machines" using Win7?  I never had this issue
until loading Win7.

Yes, I can verify that the names are different.  I specifically changed
them yesterday thinking that was the issue.  But should that matter as
only one system is "On"  the XP sytem is here with me in White River
(turned off).  The Win 7 system is in Colchester, trying to log on.