I had tried using remote assistance a few years ago initially hoping it
would be my remote elixir of wonder.  But I have rarely gotten it to
connect to me in those situations when a client is behind a nat router
and I am as well.  Maybe they've worked through those bugs and it works
better these days.  Any feedback on that sort of home based rather than
campus based setup?

I had tried a trial version of logmeinrescue.com a couple weeks ago.  I
ran a number of remote help sessions with it with some very good
success.  I have to admit I was impressed.  Works on macs and PCs.  You
can even pay more to have access to smartphones. (wasn't my concern, but
may be interesting to some).  Works through a web browser, so you can
send someone a link to initiate a remote session or just have them go to
logmein123.com and enter a pin code you generate.  Felt fairly polished.

This discussion is quite timely as I am starting to investigate a good
option for our group.

-Bryan