For ArcGIS I enrolled UVM in the ESRI Development Center (EDC) program.  UVM affiliates are allowed to install ArcGIS on personal computers providing they are under the supervision of UVM EDC personnel (http://www.uvm.edu/~gis/?Page=EDC.html).  Please let me know if you have any questions.

--

Jarlath O'Neil-Dunne

Geospatial Analyst

University of Vermont