-----Original Message-----
From: Vermont Municipal Government Discussion Network
[mailto:[log in to unmask]]On Behalf Of Huntington Town Clerk - Heidi
Racht
Sent: Thursday, November 05, 2009 2:10 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Old Liens and Releases

Hello Clerks,

I am full of odd questions today. I just got off the phone with someone
who has a bunch of liens from the state and he is claiming that someone
from the state told him that these were outdated and should be removed.
I explained that we cannot remove anything from the land records and, no
offense, cannot take someone's word for it. It must be in writing.

I suggested that he get a letter from the state outlining which old
liens should be released and we would be happy to do it. This letter, I
told him, would be in the land records as official documentation of the
releases. I also told him it would be $10 to record the letter.

Does anyone have anything to say about how I handled this? I am looking
for answers about how some of you might have dealt with a similar
experience and if I should call him back with different information.

Thanks, in advance.

Heidi Racht