Bryan, one of my friends has a suggestion for the fix to this issue:

Your Moodle installation doesn't have to communicate with Google to send out
email. There are two things that need to be done for a basic setup.

The first is to make sure your server has an MTA (Message Transer Agent)
setup. Sendmail or Postfix should work fine and in most cases Sendmail
should be setup to work with Moodle/PHP by default. The second thing you
need to do is set up a cronjob to automatically schedule mailings. This is
the actual piece inside Moodle that does all the sending to
students/teachers. More information can be found at the Moodle forum
http://docs.moodle.org/en/Cron

It is possible to set up Gmail and Moodle but it will be more work. If it's
not a requirement to send mail through Google Apps I would recommend going
with the usual configuration.

Hope this helps!

Sean Behan
http://seanbehan.com
Yours truly,
Sean Behan

My company http://haslabs.com
Webapps and projects http://postlearn.com, http://events.postlearn.com,
http://workshopdog.com
Webmaster for http://naturaldogtraining.com
Personal Sites http://seanbehan.com http://facebook.com/sbehan

On Sat, Nov 7, 2009 at 7:19 AM, Bryan Thompson <[log in to unmask]

--
Joseph Thibault
VP Support and Curriculum

Email:  [log in to unmask]
Skype:  joseph.thibault
Google Voice:  (802) 735-2066
Blog: http://theglobalclassroom.blogspot.com

This information may be privileged or confidential and is intended for use
solely by the person(s) named above. Review of this communication by anyone
other than the intended recipient is strictly prohibited; and distribution
or duplication of this communication may not be made without the prior
consent of the sender.