I inherited many copies of Premiere Elements 4.0 for Windows and overall I
really like it.  The interface is clean and simple, and I'm really impressed
with the software's ability to quickly burn a project to DVD (unlike
iMovie).  But there's a significant problem I can't figure out and need some
help.  The students save their work to the local machine and also copy it to
a flash drive.   When their project contains .jpegs or clips from other
media, the project is fine for several days but then parts of the project
simply disappear.  The time line shows the name and length of individual
segments, but no data.  On these clips we get a message which says some
media is missing, and the program attempts to find the files.  Nada.  This
often happens when a student imports an image and saves it to their
documents and then inserts in into Premiere Elements.  The frustrating thing
is the fact the students can go back into the project many times and
continue editing, and then one day it's all messed up.  It seems like the
link to the file is broken, but I also can't find the file anywhere in the
system.  Is there some way we're supposed to be archiving, or something else
we're supposed to do to save this work and continue editing later?  This is
not an issue with content imported from a DV tape or other student created
video media, but still images/.jpegs or clips ripped from DVDs simply
disappear after a week or so.

Drew
--
Drew Blanchard