I have had luck with the Ricoh color lasers (great specs for the price).   I
set the drivers to print to B/W by default and used it as the only printer
in a couple of labs.      I had purchased one Xerox which the drivers would
not allow you to set the default color settings (as per Xerox).

Most of the low end HP's I bought I wound up upgrading the ram to make it
really usable, but never had any other issues with them.

Bjorn Behrendt
IT Coordinator
Mount St. Joseph
(802) 775-0151