Will,

Convert the AVI to a WVM file, then it works.  Also,  I inserted into
smartnotebook software pretty easy as well (Free Download if you have at
least one smartboard at school).   Here is the article about why it won't
work the way you want it to.
http://ittrainingtips.iu.edu/powerpoint/insert-flip-video-footage-into-a-powerpoint-2007-presentation/04/2009

Jon

--