   The other piece of nostalgia (with the emphasis on "-algia"), was the
picture of the acousitic coupler that accompanied the NPR article,
which Eric referred to.  Who remembers those?   They were gone by the time I
got into the BBS biz, but, in the early '80s, I worked for several years as
a reference librarian at MIT.  We used those things to dial up the Dialog
(Lockheed) research databases.  You may not associate prayer with MIT, but
that is often what it took to make the connection work, especially after we
got a new telephone at the reference desk and the handset didn't quite fit.
I remember some poor guy who had to defend his thesis the next day trying
to find out if there was any info on a particular enzyme - and we kept
dropping the connection.  I asked him to come back an hour later and,
magically, it worked!  (And we found nothing on that enzyme - which was what
he was hoping.)

At one time (before divestiture) people were forbidden by AT&T to connect
non-AT&T devices to a phone line.  That might have been a reason why we
didn't have direct electronic connection yet.  Anyway, within a few years,
the couplers were gone.

We started our BBS in Montpelier with an internal Hayes 1200 modem that was
one of those huge cards about 6 inches high that ran the full depth of the
box on a full-sized tower.  But it worked.

Hey, I'm still using a 1998 US Robotics 56k modem on one of my PCs to do
faxing.  Works flawlessly.

-Vince