Lauren, I certainly agree on the reflection part. Also glad you've found
schools who will look at portfolios as well. I'd love to hear more about how
helpful they feel the material truly is. A student I spoke to who was an
intern in a college admissions office told me they "glance over them. Most
of it all falls back to courseload, classrank and achievement on
standardized tests."  Ugh. Archiving work for peers has created that sense
of meaning here, personal reflection, as well as asking students to refine
assignments further. We've talked about chatting on this sort of project
medium in the past. 'bout time we get to it I guess.