We use AVG at school, paid for version. I was taken aback by the
doubling of the price this year but the system works well. We have 3
years now until the current license expires so I will look for
alternatives in early '12. (Assuming I have not lost my job.) Picks
up things which are not really viruses. That is irritating. But,
picks up all kinds of problems before they happen because someone
opened an email they should not have or goes to a web site that is
not friendly or has a "bug" carefully implanted. It has been a very
good product.
I use AVG free at home. Have been satisfied and it seems to work
well. Getting to be more of a hog though. Turned off automatic
updates on my oldest laptop. I do manual when I don't need to use the
computer. Really sucking resources, big time.
However, Jesse's post is correct. But........ This is education and
dare I say, especially now, cutting corners might be defensible.
I would suggest that Peter might want to comment on the State's
attitude regarding "free" vs paid for software use in education. How
does VT stand on "breaking the rules" software wise? Someone has to
set the standard/lay down the rules. A "position paper" on software
use/licences would be valuable to the troops who might have to
confront administration with potential "true costs" in terms of tech
infrastructure. Meanwhile we all just do what we can to keep things working.

My feeling anyway,
Rick

At 04:00 PM 11/27/2009, you wrote:
>Bryan,
>
>I have used Avira in the past and have been satisfied with it.
>
>However, I do not think that they are free unless it is for personal use.
>
>-Jesse

Tech Support
Townshend School District
PO Box 226