My understanding is that the Flip installation is necessary for installation
of the codec vs. the Flip software itself - no other way to install the
codec. Once the software is installed, Moviemaker will recognize the flip
footage, but computers that have NOT had Flip installed will not. I believe
this is true for iMovie on Macs as well.

We grabbed the Flip software off of an HD camera and keep it stored on the
network for installation - it is backwards compatible with the Flip Ultra.
When we install, we have also disabled the (user specific) preference to
launch the Flip software, preferring to use Moviemaker. Flip footage can be
drag 'n drop copied from the DCIM --> Video100 folder right to a network or
local drive.

We have about 10 Flips in action now plus five Flip HD, and this year we
have installed Flip software on ALL of our workstations so that they can be
used anywhere. We have also installed MPEG Streamclip (I think I heard about
it here) to convert Flip HD footage, since Moviemaker2 in XP does not accept
HD footage. Streamclip works well and also does batch processing. For a
recent project we also used it to convert .MOV clips from home digital
cameras, since Moviemaker doesn't like those either.

I hope this helps - there were some growing pains last year but I think we
are now set up for Flip to be used easily on any of our computers.

Eric

on 11/23/09 11:09 AM, Melissa Hayden-Raley wrote:

> Has anyone used the Flip Ultra 120 at their schools yet?  We purchased two
> dozen over the summer for our schools, as the four 30-minute cameras that
> we had for signout last year were extremely popular.  However, these 120s
> are NOT as friendly.
>
> My primary complaint is that the software requires admin privileges to
> install.  This isn't to load drivers or add hardware, this is just
> software to edit clips.  I decided to install it on my own laptop to see
> what it's doing... it does a simulataneous login as the local system
> account to install itself.  Not only that, but it inexplicably loaded the
> System account desktop (?!) which for the average teacher is going to be
> quite the WTF moment.  I've had a couple of teachers report to me that
> once they get past the installation, when the software tries to save an
> edited file, it will simply hang partway through, with an ominous "do not
> unplug the device!!" message.
>
> So far, these have been nothing but a frustration.  As an alternative to
> temporarily assigning admin privs and walking through a crazy installation
> just to use iffy software, the only other choice I've found is to walk
> them through locating their video file (mp4) on the camera and running it
> through a converter so that they can use Windows Movie Maker, which
> everyone already has.
>
> Am I the only having a tough time with these?  Does someone who's been
> using them for longer have some words of wisdom?
>
> Melissa Hayden-Raley
> IT Technician
> Milton Town School District
> Need computer help? http://helpdesk.mtsd-vt.org
> Fix it yourself!  http://helpdesk.mtsd-vt.org/selfhelp/index.html

> and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure, or
> contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy/delete all copies of the

and privileged information protected under the Family Educational Rights and
Privacy Act. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is
prohibited. If you are not an intended recipient, please contact the sender
by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the message.