-----Original Message-----
From: School Information Technology Discussion
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Eric Hall
Sent: Monday, November 30, 2009 9:48 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Free Antivirus ...

Of ALL people, I believe it is our responsibility as technology leaders to
model appropriate use of licensed software, including the use of home-use
shareware on our networks. I have spent years working with staff members who
feel as if "it's for education, so it ought to be free," and asking me to
buy software for their home computers. Ditto for software (Inspiration) that
we do not own for all computers: "why can't you just put it on all of my
computers?" or "Isn't it all site-licensed?"

For this and other reasons we continue to seek open-source alternatives so
that it really IS free for everyone!

OH - we do continue to buy in to Symantec EPP, which (despite the load) has
worked well for us. After the initial purchase, the renewal cost is
reasonable.

Eric

on 11/30/09 8:02 AM, Dave Tisdell wrote:

> Hi Bryan,
>
> I was responding to this quote from Rick's post
> " This is education and
> dare I say, especially now, cutting corners might be defensible.
> I would suggest that Peter might want to comment on the State's
> attitude regarding "free" vs paid for software use in education. How
> does VT stand on "breaking the rules" software wise? Someone has to
> set the standard/lay down the rules. A "position paper" on software
> use/licences would be valuable to the troops who might have to
> confront administration with potential "true costs" in terms of tech
> infrastructure."
>
> Dave
>

> This e-mail may contain information protected under the Family Educational
> Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA). If this e-mail contains student
information
> and you are not entitled to access such information under FERPA, please
notify
> the sender. Federal regulations require that you destroy this e-mail
without
> reviewing it and you may not forward it to anyone.

> This is education and
> dare I say, especially now, cutting corners might be defensible.
> I would suggest that Peter might want to comment on the State's
> attitude regarding "free" vs paid for software use in education. How
> does VT stand on "breaking the rules" software wise? Someone has to
> set the standard/lay down the rules. A "position paper" on software
> use/licences would be valuable to the troops who might have to
> confront administration with potential "true costs" in terms of tech
> infrastructure.

and privileged information protected under the Family Educational Rights and
Privacy Act. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is
prohibited. If you are not an intended recipient, please contact the sender
by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the message.