All,

HP and Topfloor sent people to Fairfield Center School yesterday to look
at the 6735b notebooks that were having problems.  There was Alan from
Topfloor, Gerald from HP Burlington and Timothy from HP Boston.

My greatest fear was that as soon as they entered the building the problem
would go away, thankfully that wasn't completely true.  They were very
surprised at my Linksys WAP54G configuration, where I had all the access
points on the same channel to support roaming.  Although this is what
Linksys says to do, they said it works better with the access points on
different channels so no 2 access points that can see each other are
sharing a channel.  All the other wireless devices have worked with my
current configuration, so we left that alone for now.  Is anyone else who
is having problems using roaming?  If so are you using one channel or
many?

We replaced a radio in one of the 6735b that have been giving us trouble
with an older version that just supports 802.11 a,b,g (no N).  Immediately
the laptop began working correctly.

They are suspicious that there may be an issue with the motherboards in
the effected laptops, so they took one of the bad machines back to the
shop to replace the motherboard, while keeping the original radio.  I
should be getting that back today to bring to Fairfield and see what
effect that has.

They are doing a very thorough evaluation of the problem in an environment
where it is repeatable.  I'm confident that we will be able to determine
what causes some of these notebooks to not work with Linksys access
points.  Timothy was very clear that once they know what the cause is HP
will make it right with their customers.

Thanks everyone that has worked on this.  I'm feeling like we will have a
solution soon.

Craig Lyndes
FCSU