Bryan, one of my friends has a suggestion for the fix to this issue:

Your Moodle installation doesn't have to communicate with Google to send out email. There are two things that need to be done for a basic setup.

The first is to make sure your server has an MTA (Message Transer Agent) setup. Sendmail or Postfix should work fine and in most cases Sendmail should be setup to work with Moodle/PHP by default. The second thing you need to do is set up a cronjob to automatically schedule mailings. This is the actual piece inside Moodle that does all the sending to students/teachers. More information can be found at the Moodle forum http://docs.moodle.org/en/Cron

It is possible to set up Gmail and Moodle but it will be more work. If it's not a requirement to send mail through Google Apps I would recommend going with the usual configuration.

Hope this helps!

Sean Behan
http://seanbehan.com
Yours truly,