I've used a bunch of these on line storage solutions.  So far my favorites are Zumodrive (1GB free), Dropbox (2GB free), and Skydrive (25GB free).  I also use livesync to synchronize files between multiple devices (works great keeping all my WoW mods, pictures, music, movies, and etc updated across my home computers).

Amazon probably has the most robust and affordable solution for huge data backups, skydrive has the most storage for free (25GB), Zumodrive does a great job with media, gdocs and live@edu let you actually work on the files through the browser, but none of them will do it all.   So, I use all of the above (well, I don't use Amazon... yet).

I'd like to see what everyone is doing or planning to do with online data services as addition/replacement/fault tolerance to your school's storage options.  Currently we back up about + TB to disk and then that goes to tape, as it takes too long to go straight to tape.   Dropbox at $240/year for 100GB would cover a fair amount of data, but would that solve more problems than it would create?  Amazon can host all of our backups for about the cost of our tapes for 1 month... but can we even begin to push that amount of data up to the cloud with a tiny 30MB handoff?  How big a pipe do we need to realistically use these solutions and will that cost be worth it?

Mike

Michael Vining, SB IT Support

South Burlington School District

South Burlington, Vermont 05403