Hello all:  I am sending this out on behalf of Chris Hastings, our consultant from Powerhouse Consulting, who is heading up our K-12 work on broadband and E-rate programs.  Please reply to Chris Hastings.. I have him CC'd in this message and his email is also in the signature.  Let us know quickly for planning purposes if you would like to attend:

As some of you may have heard at VT Fest last week, the Department of Education has engaged PowerHouse Consulting to assist in organizing schools to take advantage of a newly planned statewide broadband network which will improve internet access and provide helpful applications to schools across Vermont. In addition, PowerHouse is looking at ways of improving E-rate funding reimbursements for schools and supervisory unions.

Our Vermont Fest presentations drew much interest in this initiative and it was clear that many are interested in taking action for the coming year's E-rate process, so we are moving quickly to arrange some follow-ups to those discussions.  PowerHouse will be hosting two workshops on the E-rate initiative in the next few weeks, one in northern and another in southern Vermont, to move the E-rate improvement initiative forward. The workshops will focus on what can be done to improve reimbursements for the coming year while looking at more substantive changes to improve the process and funding in future years. The goals and agenda for the workshops are:

1.      Conduct a brainstorming session around how we can leverage a statewide application process to make it easier for schools and SUs to obtain E-rate funds and possibly leverage better pricing offers.

2.      Gather feedback from Schools and SUs on their key challenges with the E-rate process.

3.      Provide general insight and answer specific questions on how improve E-rate funding.

4.      Collaborate with attendees to complete a statewide 470 application for 2010 intended to:

a)      Improve cellular pricing and reimbursement across the state

b)      Help those currently not applying for cellular reimbursement to take advantage of it

c)      Obtain improved pricing, statewide, for internet access

5.      Schedule follow-up workshops in January to assist all interested in completing form 471 which will secure the contracts for existing or newly proposed pricing

We are offering two potential dates for each workshop in hopes that those interested will help us find the best dates for all.

North Workshop – 12/1 or 12/3  location probably in Montpelier

South Workshop – 12/8 or 12/10   looking for a location South of Route 4.

Please let me know which date or dates are best for you.

We are planning the meetings for 4 hours, between 10 and 2 PM. Lunch will be provided.

We hope to see you there!

Name:

School or SU:

Best date(s):