I inherited many copies of Premiere Elements 4.0 for Windows and overall I really like it.  The interface is clean and simple, and I'm really impressed with the software's ability to quickly burn a project to DVD (unlike iMovie).  But there's a significant problem I can't figure out and need some help.  The students save their work to the local machine and also copy it to a flash drive.   When their project contains .jpegs or clips from other media, the project is fine for several days but then parts of the project simply disappear.  The time line shows the name and length of individual segments, but no data.  On these clips we get a message which says some media is missing, and the program attempts to find the files.  Nada.  This often happens when a student imports an image and saves it to their documents and then inserts in into Premiere Elements.  The frustrating thing is the fact the students can go back into the project many times and continue editing, and then one day it's all messed up.  It seems like the link to the file is broken, but I also can't find the file anywhere in the system.  Is there some way we're supposed to be archiving, or something else we're supposed to do to save this work and continue editing later?  This is not an issue with content imported from a DV tape or other student created video media, but still images/.jpegs or clips ripped from DVDs simply disappear after a week or so.

Drew
--
Drew Blanchard
Technology Teacher