I love Adobe's Elements suite of software, but there are a couple
gothcas with the older versions.

Adobe is heavy on temp files and these tend to be stored in the local
user profile in Application Data.  I haven't used the 4.0 version in a
few years so I can't remember exactly how to move the temp files, but
that might be the issue.  Try to point the whole thing to a single area
and put that on the flash drive.  Also, be sure all the media is
contained in the same folder, I know this can lead to duplicate files...
but, in my experience this tends to solve a lot of flakey issues and bad
mojo.

The new version is 8.0 and you can get this as part of the Digital
School Collection for $80.  What's nice with this is that you get
Premier & Photoshop Elements, Contribute, SoundBooth AND Acrobat Pro
(Digital Portfolios made easy... wicked easy).  You can also purchase a
maintenance agreement with this so you will get the latest versions
(they update every year).   Something like this sounds like a no-brainer
for a media lab, but it gets pricey when we talk about 100s of seats.  I
did have a chat with an Adobe rep on this specific suite of software and
we could get the cost down to almost $30/seat with maintenance if we all
got together and bought as a collective (that's based on buying a few
thousand seats).

Food for thought and I'm happy to work with Adobe to on this for us if
enough people are interested.

Mike

Michael Vining, SB IT Support

South Burlington School District