I love Adobe’s Elements suite of software, but there are a couple gothcas with the older versions.

Adobe is heavy on temp files and these tend to be stored in the local user profile in Application Data.  I haven’t used the 4.0 version in a few years so I can’t remember exactly how to move the temp files, but that might be the issue.  Try to point the whole thing to a single area and put that on the flash drive.  Also, be sure all the media is contained in the same folder, I know this can lead to duplicate files… but, in my experience this tends to solve a lot of flakey issues and bad mojo.

The new version is 8.0 and you can get this as part of the Digital School Collection for $80.  What’s nice with this is that you get Premier & Photoshop Elements, Contribute, SoundBooth AND Acrobat Pro (Digital Portfolios made easy… wicked easy).  You can also purchase a maintenance agreement with this so you will get the latest versions (they update every year).   Something like this sounds like a no-brainer for a media lab, but it gets pricey when we talk about 100s of seats.  I did have a chat with an Adobe rep on this specific suite of software and we could get the cost down to almost $30/seat with maintenance if we all got together and bought as a collective (that’s based on buying a few thousand seats).

Food for thought and I’m happy to work with Adobe to on this for us if enough people are interested.

Mike

batman_yellow_50x50.jpg

Michael Vining, SB IT Support

South Burlington School District