In response to my own original post, I found these comprehensive lists of "fakes" with some really excellent examples.  The lists also include brief descriptions of the sites, and some incorporate a believability scale:

http://www.philb.com/fakesites.htm

http://www.shambles.net/pages/staff/bogusweb/

http://www.kernhigh.org/liberty/library/fake.htm

Some of these examples are just plain ridiculous, some hysterical (Panexa.com), some require decent research and thought (using what I refer to as the "duh factor" when looking at Websites).

Drew