I remember our remote terminal/printer with the integrated acoustic coupler where the customer would dial up our data system for the latest NWS weather data.  We had numbers all over the country for access.  We also had a series of couplers for backup to our incoming data line from the NWS. If the system failed, we had to dial two to three separate phones and connect them to the couplers to keep the data flowing. The good ole days before all this high tech stuff or back then it was high tech.

Paul Monette
Newport City Elementary School

From: School Information Technology Discussion [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Vincent Rossano
Sent: Monday, November 23, 2009 2:18 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Ah, the BBS...

The other piece of nostalgia (with the emphasis on "-algia"), was the picture of the acousitic coupler that accompanied the NPR article, which Eric referred to.  Who remembers those?   They were gone by the time I got into the BBS biz, but, in the early '80s, I worked for several years as a reference librarian at MIT.  We used those things to dial up the Dialog (Lockheed) research databases.  You may not associate prayer with MIT, but that is often what it took to make the connection work, especially after we got a new telephone at the reference desk and the handset didn't quite fit.  I remember some poor guy who had to defend his thesis the next day trying to find out if there was any info on a particular enzyme - and we kept dropping the connection.  I asked him to come back an hour later and, magically, it worked!  (And we found nothing on that enzyme - which was what he was hoping.)

At one time (before divestiture) people were forbidden by AT&T to connect non-AT&T devices to a phone line.  That might have been a reason why we didn't have direct electronic connection yet.  Anyway, within a few years, the couplers were gone.

We started our BBS in Montpelier with an internal Hayes 1200 modem that was one of those huge cards about 6 inches high that ran the full depth of the box on a full-sized tower.  But it worked.

Hey, I'm still using a 1998 US Robotics 56k modem on one of my PCs to do faxing.  Works flawlessly.

-Vince