The "old" GEs include 30WPM with 90% accuracy for 8th grade. When we were
doing pull-out instruction for 8th grade (the target age for "technological
literacy?") I would see many students reach 25WPM with our software (Mavis
Beacon) but I know they would type faster when doing "real" typing. Working
backwards roughly 5WPM per grade level, I hoped for 15WPM in 5th grade, or
10-15WPM as they left 4th and came over to the middle school.

Keyboarding is one of the few areas for which we have "concrete" data, since
our programs are networked and record progress. It is clear (duh) that the
more they practice, the better they get.

Working "up" the grades, would that put 10th graders at 40WPM, and seniors
at 50WPM? Assuming a steady increase in proficiency?

Eric

on 11/23/09 2:25 PM, Bryan Thompson wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 20, 2009 at 11:02 AM, Bjorn Behrendt <[log in to unmask]>
> wrote:
> How fast and how accurate should highschoolsers be typing at?
>
> Also does anybody know of some good webbased type testing sites.  I googled a
> few but didn't know if someone had experience with one in particular.

and privileged information protected under the Family Educational Rights and
Privacy Act. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is
prohibited. If you are not an intended recipient, please contact the sender
by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the message.