We’ve used PowerSchool for several years.  My understanding is that 50% of the schools in Vermont use it.

Robert Brinkley

North Country Supervisory Union Technology Director

(802) 334-5847 ext. 18

From: School Information Technology Discussion [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Steve Jarrett
Sent: Tuesday, November 24, 2009 11:42 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Student Information Systems

I recommend holding off on selecting a new SMS, if possible.   Lisa Gauvin at the DOE shared:

The state is submitting a grant (due Dec 4th) to the feds for a statewide SMS.  If it is approved in May 2010, a proposal for vendors will be posted.  The proposed time line is then:

- A vendor/software would be selected around October 2010.

- The process of bring a few schools on board would start in January 2011.

- Other schools would be brought on-line in a two year time frame

If it happens, the grant would cover the initial software and hardware purchase, as well as training.

Tentative plan is for an off-the-shelf product that would be hosted at one location, to which all schools would have client and/or web interfaces.  There might be local hosting at some larger schools with a nightly sync to the state server.

There are lots of pros to this scenario.  The major con I see is the practicality of pulling it off.

Vermont's population is that of a medium sized U.S. city.  Many cities of one SMS for all of their schools.

I believe that Maine has tried such a system with mixed success.

Disclaimer: The above scenario is my interpretation and memory of what I understood Lisa to convey.  Any errors in representation are probably mine.

Steve Jarrett
District Technology Supervisor
Chittenden East Supervisory Union
(802) 858 - 1729
(fax) (802)899-2904

>>> Tim Bourne <[log in to unmask]> 11/24/2009 11:24 AM >>>
Does anyone have any suggestions about selecting a student information system. If you have recently gone with a new system it would be helpful to hear your experiences. I'm constructing a matrix and want to make sure all considerations are in it without being overwhelming. I would really like to hear from those of you who have a success story to tell.

PPlease consider the environment before printing this e-mail