For home use I recommend avg or avast to people.  But they are not legal to use on school computers.    I just went through finding an AV solution for MSJ.  I wound up choosing Lightspeed.  They were about $10 a seat for both antivirus and content filtering.   I think Symantec was cheeper but I have never been happy with its performance.

Bjorn Behrendt
IT Coordinator
Mount St. Joseph
(802) 775-0151