Thanks for the info. I think that is what I am going to do is to have an access point on the cart for now. I have already shut off DHCP, etc.

-----Original Message-----
From: School Information Technology Discussion [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Bob Wickberg
Sent: Monday, November 30, 2009 9:23 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Wireless Access Point Question

We use linksys wrt54g wireless routers.  We shut off the DHCP server in
them, and then use only the LAN side of the router, not the WAN port.
This way, we have an access point and a four port switch in one.  We need
the switch to connect the printer that's on the cart.  The other advantage
of these routers is they're pretty cheap, though there are a lot of other
models you could say that about.

These access points don't seem to have any problem handling the 24 laptops
that are in our carts.  They do, after being in service for a day or so,
sometimes seem to lock up and need to be rebooted, but on the carts, they
get rebooted every time the cart is moved, so it's not much of an issue.

As noted in other posts on this forum, our HP 6735b laptops do have major
problems connecting with linksys access points in particular, but that's
also not an issue with our carts, we don't have these laptops in any carts
at this point.  HP is supposedly working on this.

Bob Wickberg
Technology Coordinator
802-451-3418