Lauren, I certainly agree on the reflection part. Also glad you've found schools who will look at portfolios as well. I'd love to hear more about how helpful they feel the material truly is. A student I spoke to who was an intern in a college admissions office told me they "glance over them. Most of it all falls back to courseload, classrank and achievement on standardized tests."  Ugh. Archiving work for peers has created that sense of meaning here, personal reflection, as well as asking students to refine assignments further. We've talked about chatting on this sort of project medium in the past. 'bout time we get to it I guess.