Most mystery birds are likely to remain mysteries (which is not always a
bad thing).

This observation was not long enough to provide sufficient detail for
anything more than a speculative identification. Given that caveat and
based on these details: "large" size, gray back and tail, white along
the edges of the tail (but not necessarily the whole length), this bird
sounds most like an adult accipiter, as all three are gray-backed. They
have long white undertail coverts that could be fluffed out to the sides
and visible from behind in some circumstances.

Without another, longer, encounter, it will likely remain a mystery, so
stay alert.

Nancy Martin
Chestertown, Maryland